Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand

Goodreads Summary:
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.
Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

My Review:
I read Hallowed in about 2 days when I finally had time to get lost in a book. And get lost I did. This book surpasses the first by a lot. Cynthia Hand out did herself here. This book was a rollercoaster of emotions. Clara went from child who couldn’t decide who she loved to a young woman before my eyes. In this book Clara tries to keep the ones she loves safe especially Tucker. She struggles with the fact that her and Tucker are different and have different lives ahead. Clara keeps dreaming about walking through a very pretty place with rose bushes and her friends. I won't say what this dream means because it is a huge part of the book. She is also still struggling with her purpose that for a while she feels like she has failed. However it is more complicated than that and involves more than just her. Her purpose is intertwined with others and their purposes are also part of her. People who are close to her are intertwined. We also learn about Jeffery’s purpose and how much he struggles with life changing events in this book.

When I read book one I was totally team Tucker. Now with book two I am team Christian. He changed so much in this book and we learn more about him and his family. I also didn’t like how Tucker’s life was at risk by Clara wanting to be with him. I cried more than once during this book because of the emotional pain that Clara goes through and the decisions she must make. There really is no more to say than Clara went from child to young women during this book and it was a nice change from the typical do I love Tucker or do I love Christian, that I expected from this book. I was pleasantly surprised that more important things took precedent to teenage love triangles. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book and I hope book three comes soon!


1 comment:

  1. Gah! I hated Christian in this book. I feel like Cynthia pushed Tucker away just so she could create this love triangle.

    ReplyDelete