Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Goodreads Summary:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.











My Review:
I am a nurse. Typically I don’t read books like this. Why? This is real life to me. I have been there when people are told they have cancer, during treatment, when they are dying, crying with their family members, and when they take their last breath… Strangers and my own family. This book has been on my radar for a while and I finally felt it was time to read it. Hazel and Augustus’s story is beautiful and heartbreaking. They are two teenagers with cancer who fall in love with each other, knowing that their days might be limited. Augustus is in remission and Hazel has tumors in her lungs. With the drugs she’s on the growth has slowed but, they won’t go away. Their relationship is not normal. Hazel is on oxygen all the time to help her breath and has an oxygen tank with her at all times. Augustus has a prosthetic leg, two peas on a pod if you ask me. Their relationship grows into something that we all should experience. Great things blossomed from an unfortunate situation. They leave their marks on each other. But, how much time do they have?

Hazel and Augustus’s love is not your typical one. It is not full of hormones and sex filled passion. It is a different kind of passion. It is the kind that leaves an everlasting mark on someone else. The kind that makes you pray for that kind of love. Hazel tried to stay away but, Augustus wouldn’t have it. He kept trying even though Hazel is slowly dying. Hazel just didn’t want him to hurt when she was gone. He didn’t care one bit and would rather have her while he could. It was simply beautiful.

I loved Isaac. He also has cancer, in his eyes. He provides a lot of comic relief along with Augustus. He and Augustus had a great friendship and when they needed each other they were there. In their darkest times they were there. I felt like Isaac’s breakdown was so real. In fact at all points where a character just lost it and was overcome with emotion it was very well written. Describing that can be difficult. Kids should never have to go through any of that.

I’m not going to lie. This book ended in a way I did not expect. It involved ugly crying and anger. Probably more personal for me then it needed to be but, that’s my life.  There were so many happy times too though. Don’t get me wrong the whole book isn't sad. Their trip to Amsterdam was great. Augustus’s personality was simply awesome and I loved him. I liked the element Hazel’s favorite book. All around a great story that left its mark on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment