Sunday, July 20, 2014

Second Chances by H.M. Ward and Stacey Mosteller

Goodreads Summary:
Sex. Betrayal. Forbidden Love. Lawn Boy.

I'm not a catch, I'm not even certain I'm what they'd call 'mentally stable,' not anymore. Too much has happened too fast and it ripped my soul in half. I'm alone, with a plastic stick in my hand that says the one word we'd been so eager to see. 

Pregnant. 

Lucky in love once is a miracle, but I lost him, and this baby is all I have left. My life turned to ash in a blink and there's nothing I can do about it. 

Years pass and I'm still here, but it doesn't feel like it, not until the lawn guy, Daniel Clemment, checks me out. Me. A yoga-panting, pony tailing, frumpy-butt, frizzy mommy who's covered in whatever the baby tossed on me at lunch. 

Daniel's dark eyes linger too long, as if he likes what he sees. I'm shocked and flattered, but he's too young. The age gap between us is over a decade, but that doesn't stop him. If I sleep with him everyone will think I've lost my mind. Maybe I have, because everyday that I see Dan's sexy, toned body glistening in the sunlight, I consider feeling him pressed against me, naked. The few times his fingers grazed my skin were heaven, but once the clothes come off--he's a god and I'm... me.

I've been alone for so long. Surely one kiss won't hurt anything, one taste of his mouth should be harmless. Things don't have to go that far, but I'm wrong. 


Love only comes around once in a lifetime. Only fools think otherwise, and I'm the biggest fool of them all.

My Review:
We were warned in advance that this one was going to be a tearjerker from the author. Put it this way, I was crying at 2% into this one. It's such a whirl wind of a read! I loved it! Gen had a good life. A home and a man that loved her dearly. Then she lost the love of her life, her husband of 10 years when he was deployed. Anyone who has ever lost anyone or has someone they love would feel for her. Especially when the author does such a good job writing those emotions. It's almost as if I felt her pain through the pages. She also just found out two days ago that she is pregnant with his child. It's a good thing shes got such great friends and a Father who really cares. I think her Mom does care but, she's a little cold towards her. After Cade's death Gen becomes pretty much obsessed with living her life and being the best mom to her child. A little boy, named CJ. Where does she go from here? Will she find love again? Does she even want to?

Gen is living life the best she can. She is the sole caregiver to her son CJ, takes care of the house, and tries to take care of herself. She has a lot on her plate. Then she's got her Mom and friends trying to set her up with guys. She is simply not ready to move on. She is still in love with her husband even though he passed away. She is also pretty self councious about her post-baby body. Thankfully she has Daniel, the lawn boy who Cade hired a couple years before he died. He has been especially helpful recently. Fixing stuff in the house and outside. Soon Gen starts to notice that he is not longer that boy but, a man. The night he helps her with CJ is the night that changes things. 

Daniel is now a man that is caring, helpful, handy, and kind to Gen. He isn't judging her like everyone else. They start to spend more time together and their relationship is no longer the way it used to be. The age difference between them is over a decade and Gen worries about that. Daniel doesn't worry about it. He knows how he feels and that's the end of it. What will everyone think? Will they judge her? For me they were so cute together and I don't think age should matter but, to society it does. Will these two be able to look past it or will family and society pressure be to much? 

This book has jumped to the top of my list of favorites for H.M. Ward. It was such a great book! The way it was written, the emotions just jumped off the page and I was living it with Gen. It's only a stand alone but, I'd love to get more of these two! Go get this one people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment